Chiropractors are primary health care professionals who work with people of all ages. The purpose of chiropractic is to help people reach and maintain excellent health and wellbeing through the care of the spine and nerve system.
Chiropractors are concerned with the relationship between the spine and the nerve system.1 Spinal function impacts brain function and therefore influences overall health, well being and performance.2,3,4
Chiropractors specialise in providing specific adjustments to the spine to correct abnormal function so that the body can express its fullest potential. Chiropractors are also trained to recognise conditions that may require concurrent care or referral to other health care providers.
Why study at the New Zealand College of Chiropractic?
- Internationally recognised chiropractic college offering a world renowned education programme.
- Highest standards of hands-on learning and cutting-edge research.
- Practical hands on experience in our state-of-the-art public chiropractic centre.
- Competitive course fees making us one of the most cost effective programmes worldwide.
- Located in Auckland – voted third best city in the world to live in (2014 Quality of Living Worldwide City Rankings, Mercer Survey).
The Chiropractic Degree
After completing one year of specific health science courses at university, students study for four years at the New Zealand College of Chiropractic and graduate with a Bachelor of Chiropractic degree, practising as a Doctor of Chiropractic.
Hands-on chiropractic technique is taught from the first semester and is the key focus throughout all four years. The first two years of the degree will build on your health science knowledge and introduce chiropractic technique and philosophy. In the last two years, you will gain practical experience by working in the College’s state-of-the-art chiropractic centre providing chiropractic care to patients. Other courses include diagnostic imaging, nutrition, business skills and chiropractic care for special populations such as children and the elderly.
Job Opportunities for Chiropractors
Chiropractors are in great demand, and there are excellent job opportunities for new graduates. Many chiropractors start their own practices and set their own hours, allowing you to enjoy a great work life balance. With attractive starting salaries, and the opportunity to travel the world with your skills, there has never been a better time to become a chiropractor.
In 2015, chiropractic was voted number one for best job security and lowest unemployment rate - Marketwatch Survey
1. Haavik Taylor H, Holt K, Murphy B. Exploring the neuromodulatory effects of the vertebral subluxation and chiropractic care. Chiropr J Aust 2010;40(1):37-44.
2. Uthaikhup S, Jull G, Sungkarat S, et al. The influence of neck pain on sensorimotor function in the elderly. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2012;55(3):667-72.
3. Haavik H, Murphy B. Subclinical neck pain and the effects of cervical manipulation on elbow joint position sense. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2011;34(2):88-97.
4. Fanuele JC, Birkmeyer NJ, Abdu WA, et al. The impact of spinal problems on the health status of patients: have we underestimated the effect? Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2000;25(12):1509-14.