The New Zealand College of Chiropractic is governed by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. This sets out minimum standards of advice and care that you can expect and provides a procedure that you can follow if you have concerns about the treatment you receive while studying at the New Zealand College of Chiropractic. Copies of the code can be found on the NZQA website.

Academic Year
Our college has one intake a year. There are two semesters per year, and our academic year is based on the calendar year running from late January until November, with a two-month break over the December/January period.

 Admissions Process

1. Request an application form. See our list of admissions requirements here.

2. The standard of English Language competence that the College requires is, or equivalent to, an academic IELTS overall score of 7.0 with no individual language skill under 6.5. Our preferred English language test is the IELTS academic module.

3. Upon acceptance and prior to enrollment, you will need to provide the following documentation:

    • Valid passport
    • Valid student visa
    • Change of address form showing current NZ address
    • Full travel and medical insurance policy

For compliance purposes these documents must be photocopied and certified as true copies.

You need to apply for a student visa to cover the period you intend to study in New Zealand. You must show evidence that you have been accepted into a full-time programme, that you have paid your first year’s tuition fees in full and that you have sufficient funds to cover your living costs while in New Zealand. You will need to apply for your visa before entering New Zealand.

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available on the Immigration New Zealand website. You can also contact your local Immigration New Zealand office.

International Accreditation

New Zealand College of Chiropractic graduates are advised to research the requirements necessary to apply for registration with Chiropractic Registration Boards in the countries and states they consider other than New Zealand. In some cases additional courses or modules might be required for registration, and graduates will have to source and plan how to acquire those additional credits needed.


Below is a list of states in the USA that have indicated to us that they acknowledge NZCC graduates to be eligible to apply for registration to practice in the state.

  • Illinois
  • Kansas
  • Massachusetts
  • Montana
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Texas
  • Washington State
  • West Virginia

You are responsible for contacting the Chiropractic Board for the jurisdictions in which you are interested in practising to become aware of their specific licensure requirements, particularly as they pertain to pre-chiropractic educational requirements.

Eligibility for Health Services
Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of the treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available on the Ministry of Health website.

All chiropractic and pre-chiropractic students are entitled to discounted chiropractic care at the Chiropractic Centre.

Medical and Travel Insurance
It is mandatory for all international students to have medical and travel insurance cover while studying in New Zealand, and the College must have this information on our records. We recommend that you arrange insurance BEFORE leaving your home country. If you are unsure what your policy should cover the websites below will help. It is your responsibility to arrange insurance and we advise that you become very familiar with what your policy covers and how you can make a claim before you get here.

Health Regulations for International Students
Immigration New Zealand (INZ) has medical screening requirements for student visa applications. If you intend to spend more than six months studying in New Zealand you will need to be screened for Tuberculosis (TB) if you:

      • have not previously provided a full medical screening test to INZ; and
      • do not hold a passport from any of the identified low TB risk countries; or
      • have spent (lived and/or visited) a combined total of three months or more in a country or countries not identified as a low TB risk country.

Note: This does not apply to pregnant women and children under the age of twelve.

For further information on immigration requirements please check the Immigration New Zealand website.